Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Trip to the ER


I suppose every parent dreads the day when they have to take their child to the Emergency Room. Well this past Tuesday was our first experience with one of the boys, although it was not William's first trip to an ER. When he was 2 1/2 weeks old, he went with me to the ER, to have the worst migraine I have ever experienced treated. It was however, his first experience as a patient.

We have the baby toys separated from the other toys in an oval wicker basket on the living room floor so that William has easy access to toys that are his speed. He is also at the stage in his young life where he is experiencing the world through his mouth. Translation, he puts everything in his mouth! I mean everything!

This particular wicker basket survived David's babyhood, but met its end when part of it ended up in William's mouth and presumably his stomach. I noticed him chewing on something and went to fish it out of his mouth. It was about a 1 inch piece of the basket. I tried to get him to spit it out, but he fought me and I am pretty sure he swallowed it. After calling our clinic, they called our primary care physician at home, who then called me and strongly recommended I take William in for evaluation.

My next call was to Tim at work and then a friend who could watch David. We only spent 90 minutes at the hospital, which is very brief for an ER visit. The docs looked at William and the basket sample I brought in and said what I figured they might, "It will pass." It was definitely a relief that they didn't rush him off for x-rays or worse but it did give us a good scare. Now all we have to do is wait and see what happens.

Waiting is a constant theme in my life..... I will write more on that later. For now, William is just fine and currently napping. The wicker basket is in the trash and the toys are in a good old blue plastic basket. Not as fancy, but not as deadly. It will all come out right in the end;-).

No comments: